Friday, October 28, 2005

Vodie Baucham on Church and Family

Vodie Baucham has been here at Union the last few days for our annual Faith in Practice Conference. With all that has been going on in my family I was only able to attend the last session (today), and it was excellent. Though I have never had a personal conversation with Vodie I feel like he is a kindred spirit from the things I hear him address. He stressed in these messages the place of the family in the church, describing the church as a family of families rather than the typical model of church as a corporation- singing my song!

You can find all three messages on Union’s website. This link will take you to the main page of the audio messages and you can just look for the three messages by Vodie. At the moment they are on the top of the list since they are the most recent. I encourage you to check them out.

I am thankful to have Vodie Baucham speaking out so strongly and eloquently on the necessity of seeing the church as family and for the importance of our families, discipling our own children, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to talk with you sometime, if I could, about some of the things that Voddie talked about. I figured you might have some insight that would help me to make sense of some of the things that he talked about in relation to my calling. Thank you!

---Kevin Roe

Ray Van Neste said...

Jim,

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. I too have heard of the 'family communion'- in fact Vodie may commend it. I have argued along similar lines that this takes things too far- so I agree with you Jim. We have intentionally not done this at our church.
I like the Puritan idal of every man the pastor of the church that meets in his home. However, once we gather together as the community of faith we must join together as the church and not just a collection of families.

Thanks for raising this Jim.