Friday, March 31, 2006

Doing Poetry and Dealing with Pride

One of the fun parts of blogging is encountering other people. Recently Derek Brown visited this site and I followed the link back to his blog. There I found a poem he has written entitled, “Unless the Heart is Broken.” If you have read this blog much, you know that I encourage the use of poetry in various ways. I really enjoyed Derek’s poem as it dealt with the struggle of pride and our need for humility.

Here are the opening lines:
Unless the heart is broken
True love to Christ cannot flow
Only a heart that is broken
Can the beauty of Christ know

Check it out.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I love a discernable rhyme scheme!
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said that writing poetry without rhyme is like playing tennis without the net?

And I think that the Apostle Paul would certainly agree with the content. As one who came to Christ early in childhood, I have to confess that I have only been able to truly savor my salvation in Christ when God has made me reflect upon the depth of my sin against Him and how valuable the work of Christ must have been to atone for the transgressions of people from all the world.