Friday, October 27, 2006

Spurgeon on the Need to Read


Check out the Spurgeon quote posted by Justin Taylor. This is another great statement on the value and importance of reading. Here’s a piece of the quote:

How rebuked are they by the apostle! He is inspired, and yet he wants books! He has been preaching at least for thirty years, and yet he wants books! He had seen the Lord, and yet he wants books! He had had a wider experience than most men, and yet he wants books! He had been caught up into the third heaven, and had heard things which it was unlawful for men to utter, yet
he wants books! He had written the major part of the New Testament, and yet he wants books!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it just me or does it seem that women read far more religious literature than men? Do you have this problem in your church as well?

Ray Van Neste said...

I have seen this in my general experience as well. I must say we do have a unique situation at the church I serve, but in general I tend to find few men in churches who are interested in reading. I would connect with this with the general abdication of men from their leadership role.

Unknown said...

Maybe so Ray. But I think that men have a hunt and kill mentality when it comes to books. We typically hunt down what we are looking for and we usually only read when we have to prepare for a class or [gulp] sermon. I think its sad that men do not see a healthy thought life as a prerequisite to church leadership.