Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Sermon Listener’s Guide

Eric Smith at Shepherd of the Sheep has recently posted a Sermon Listener’s Guide he prepared for his people. I think this is a very valuable tool so I have pasted in his questions here. I encourage you to read his full post on how he has been talking to his people about the place of preaching in the life of a Christian. He also has a link to this guide in form ready for printing.

I hope to make use of this guide with my family.

A Sermon Listener’s Guide

What was the biblical text of the sermon?

Do I better understand this passage now than I did before?

What was the main point or main points of the sermon?

How did this message teach me about Christ and the Gospel?

What truths do I need to believe because of this sermon?

What application points were made in this sermon?

What further personal application can I make for myself?

What actions am I called to take this week because of this sermon?

How did this sermon rebuke me or convict me of sin?

How did this sermon bring me joy and hope?

What questions do I still have about the biblical text or the sermon?

How will this message impact my praying this week?

Was I able to receive this word with gladness and a clear conscience, or is there some sin or distraction in my life that robbed me of the joy of hearing God speak to me?

No comments: