Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Heart Prepared to Preach

Some years a go I came across this quote from Spurgeon in a secondary source under the heading given here. I have kept it with me and appreciated it so I thought I would pass it along.

“When we speak as ministers and not as men, as preachers instead of penitents, as theologians instead of disciples, we fail; when we lean our head too much upon the commentary, and too little upon the Savior’s bosom; when we eat too largely of the tree of knowledge, and too little of the tree of life, we lose the power of our ministry. I am myself a sinner, a sinner washed in the blood, and delivered from the wrath to come by the merit of my Lord and Master – all this must be fresh upon our mind. Personal godliness must never grow scanty with us. Our own personal justification in the righteousness of Christ, our personal sanctification by the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, our vital union with Christ, and expectancy of glory in Him, yea, our own advancement in grace, or our own declension; all these we must know and consider.”
-C.H. Spurgeon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Van Neste,

Thanks for this, brother. It came at the perfect time as I have the opportunity to preach in the main service this Sunday...as a disciple : )

Derek

Ray Van Neste said...

Thanks Pete!
Derek, I'm always really pleased to be of some help to one preparing to expound the Word of God to the people of God.
I'd love to hear how it goes.