Monday, January 08, 2007

Leadership Equals Teaching

I have recently been sent the following quote from Great Leader, Great Teacher: Recovering the Biblical Vision for Leadership by Gary Bredfeldt:
"We have been hoodwinked. We have come to accept a standard for leadership that
actually robs the church of great leaders. The standing-status-success standard is not a biblical standard: it is the world's standard. Pastors are not to be CEOs, and our best models are not corporate executives, coaches, generals, and presidents. Far from it ... the biblical leader is, first and foremost, a skilled and godly shepherd-teacher ... Here then is an alternative standard of leadership effectiveness from the standing-status-success model offered by the world. It is a standard that describes leadership in terms of personal relationship, sacrificial care, and secure and abundant provision." (52, 54)

I don’t know anything else about the book, but I resonate deeply with this quote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great quote indeed. As I read it, I was reminded of Stott's great book, Portrait of a Shepherd.

Ray Van Neste said...

I need to check out that book. Thanks Gordon.