Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wesley Dramatization


As part of the “starting back” activities at Union we had the opportunity to see “The Man from Aldersgate” performed by B J Johnston. Johnston gave a wonderful presentation of Wesley with humor and good theological application. Sure, I have my differences with Wesley, but this presentation hits they key areas of evangelical agreement- and there is no doubting Wesley was a dear brother greatly used of God. I found this presentation stirring and engaging and would commend it to you if you have a chance to see it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the son of a former Methodist minister, I still have a deep love for both John and Charles Wesley. Though Dad and I have both parted ways from some elements of Welsey's doctrine, his love for the Gospel and the souls of men still brings a stirring challenge to my heart. I still think Packer may be onto something when he calls Wesley an inconsistent Calvinist.
"Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."
I'll sing that alongside a Methodist brother any day of the week.

Ray Van Neste said...

Amen Eric!