Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Home Pastor Retires

“Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith” (Heb 13:7)

This past Sunday, Bro. Ray Newcomb, pastor of First Baptist Church in Millington, TN for 33 years, announced his retirement. Here is the video:


My family moved to FBC Millington when I was in the sixth grade. I was a member there until I moved away for college, and my parents are still there. Bro. Ray baptized me and under his ministry I was called to preach.

I was privileged to grow up under Bro. Ray’s ministry where the absolute truthfulness of Scripture and the importance of evangelism were bedrock truths, emphasized and practiced. As I have gone along in life I have talked with so many people who were in churches where the Bible was undermined, where there was no attempt to preach the Bible, where they were not urged to read and study their Bibles, or where they were not taught to share their faith. This has made me thank God all the more for the many ways He has blessed me through Ray Newcomb and the strong foundation I received. He has continued to be a blessing and encouragement to me along the way.

I pray the Lord’s rich blessings on Bro. Ray in his continued ministry.

Update:
See B J Maxwell's more complete observations. I heartily concur with with his comments, and as usual he says it better than I could!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Millington? I was born in Millington back when the Navy still had a base there. We moved within a year of my birth, though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, brother, for this tearful reminder of God's grace.